Interior paints are one the most integral parts when renovating a house. And most of the time – overlooked.
Given there are many types of interior house paints, house owners tend to get confused and end up selecting the wrong interior house paint for interior walls. However, homeowners are not to be blamed here, but the lack of information.
People think that all interior paints are the same. But that is not true. Different types of interior house paints have different properties. Some have higher durability, some have more sheen, and some are specifically to be used for certain surfaces.
Each interior house paint comes with its own set of characteristics and specialities. The only way to get familiar with those characteristics is by understanding the various types of interior house paints. And that’s what we will do in this blog post.
1. Gloss Paint
The gloss paint is commonly used in areas such as doorway edges, trims, certain decors, and sometimes cabinets too. The consistency of gloss paint can be both oil-based and water-based.
However, the most common one is the oil-based gloss paint because of its grime resistance, toughness, and water resistance properties.
Characteristics of Gloss Paint
- It is highly reflective
- It is highly durable and stain resistant
- When applied, it provides a shiny and glossy finish to the surface
- Less number of coats are required to achieve the perfect finish
- The surface appears smooth and clean after application
- It does not wear off easily
2. Semi-Gloss Paint
The semi-gloss paint is not as shiny as the gloss paint. However, it is still one of the best choices for interior walls which want them to be all shiny.
It is commonly used on doors, room walls, trims, cabinets, bathrooms, and kitchens. It is easy to clean and highly recommendable for large furniture items.
Characteristics of Semi-Gloss Paint
- It is less reflective as compared to gloss paint but more reflective than satin paint
- It gives the surface a sleek and shiny appearance
- Semi-gloss paints are good at resisting moisture, grime, and dust
- It is easier to clean and does not easily wear off
- Semi-gloss paints give a brighter appearance when applied in white colour
- It is best suitable for kitchens, bathrooms, and other high-traffic areas of the house
3. Satin Paint
Satin paint is less shiny as compared to semi-gloss paint but glossier than eggshell paint. It can also be used in bathrooms, kitchens, doorways, and on some décor items.
High-traffic areas are best suited for satin paint as it is easy to clean and does not easily wear off after repeated touching. The less shiny texture of the paint makes it look good on interior walls.
Characteristics of Satin Paint
- Satin paint is also known as the most versatile paint
- It is durable in nature and suitable for interior walls of the home
- It provides a soft and elegant finish to the surfaces
- It can also be used on the exterior walls of the house
- Satin paint has the capability to resist grime and mildew
- It is easy to clean as compared to other low-gloss paints
- Best suitable for kids’ rooms, home office setups, and other high-traffic areas of the house such as bathrooms, kitchens, laundry, garages, etc.
4. Eggshell Paint
The eggshell paint comes with a slight edge in terms of glossiness as compared to flat or matte paint. It gives a little shiny finish.
The interior walls of the house, living room space, dining room, etc., are the best place to use eggshell paint for a smooth and reflective finish.
Characteristics of Eggshell Paint
- Eggshell paint is commonly used in living rooms, entryways, family rooms, and hallways.
- It has the capability to resist grime, stains, and heavy dirt. It is also washable.
- It gives a soft, low sheen and smooth finish to the surface on which it is applied.
5. Flat or Matte Paint
Flat or matte paints come with zero glossiness, shine, or reflection. These paints are ideal for exterior walls, selective interior walls, and ceilings.
You cannot use this paint type for kids’ rooms or living rooms because of its vulnerability to grime and hard-to-clean nature.
Characteristics of Flat or Matte Paint
- A flat or matte paint provides a smooth and non-reflective finish to the surfaces
- Less number of coats are required to get the desired finish
- It is highly durable and does not wear off easily
- Flat paint is commonly used on ceilings, dining rooms, and other low-traffic areas of the house
- It is easy to clean and remains dust-free for longer periods of time
6. Enamel Paint
Enamel paints are basically oil-based paints that are best known for their durability. They come in a wide variety, mainly gloss and semi-gloss finishes.
Enamel paints can be used on doors, windows, trims, cabinets, and other furniture items as well.
Characteristics of Enamel Paint
- Enamel paints are durable and give a hard finish
- They are resistant to abrasion, fading, and chipping
- They are ideal to be used in bathrooms, kitchens, and driveways
- Enamel paints give a shiny and glossy finish, making the surface brighter
- They dry quickly and take no time during the application
Things to Consider While Selecting the Types of Interior House Paints
Before making a final decision on what types of interior house paints to use in various areas of your house, make sure to ponder the following things:
- The Purpose of the Area
Is it the kitchen? Bathroom? Or the master bedroom? Make sure to select types of interior house paints that describe and match the purpose of the area in which you are applying.
- Natural Light
How much natural light is the area getting on which you want to paint? If it is enough, then go for types of interior house paints that give a glossy and brighter finish.
Make sure the types of interior house paints you choose are durable enough to withstand grime, mildew, and dirt. You don’t want to witness wear and tear after just a few months.
Always go for high-quality, environment-friendly, and non-toxic paints. Unnecessary emissions from low-quality can be harmful to your and your family’s health.
The Bottom Line
Whether you are renovating a house or buying a new house, understanding the types of interior house paints is necessary for everyone. The type of paint you’ll select will not only decide how good your house look but also decide how long it will stay good-looking and shiny.
While selecting the types of interior house paints, be thoughtful of factors such as durability, colour, finish, and quality. These factors will help you make the right choice and finally help elevate the visual appeal of your house.